Sunday, September 11, 2005

Transparency

I preached a sermon today where I told a very personal story about my relationship with my Dad. I wasn't sure I would tell it. I had all sorts of questions going into the sermon. Should I reveal so much about myself so publicly? Is it appropriate to be THAT vulnerable? I don't think the pulpit should be used for personal therapy, which I've seen Pastors do in the name of being transparent. But I felt called by God to take this risk and share so I decided to tell the story.

The sermon was very well received. But I was completely unprepared for the response. People shared more with me this afternoon about their personal lives and struggles than in the 2 years I've been a pastor. I'm having dinner tonight with one family because one of them wants to discuss the sermon with me in light of their life. Although God used the sermon to unleash this response I don't think I've done a good job at responding. May God give me grace to listen and the love to help others on the journey of forgiveness.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on the edge of my seat...

5:58 AM  
Blogger GeekChurch said...

Dagesh,

I think it is so important to use personal stories in a faithful way from the pulpit. It might be the only way to foster some sort of intimacy when preaching in front of a large crowd of people. The challenge is exactly what you say, refraining from abusing that position of privilege and responsibility.

Peace,
Brian
In the Parish

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home