Saturday, September 24, 2005

Ordination

I visited my family in Salt Lake this weekend and attended the funeral of a man who was very involved in my youth group when I was in high-school. I saw many of my old friends and youth leaders at the funeral. I had some great catch-up conversations with many of them. But there was a theme that kept creeping into the conversations. Most of these people haven't seen me since I've been ordained and became a pastor. They responded with a degree of intimidation and defensivness. My old youth leader, who I am greatly indebted to for raising me in the faith said half jokingly "I'm not as ordained as you" and then joked about speaking in latin and making the sign of the cross as a way to kid me about the formality of my church(which really isn't true anyway). Another friend of mine commented on her lack of training but how she simply trusted God instead. Still another leader shied away from me and has ever since I entered the seminary. There is such a strong distrust and distaste for the organizational aspects of religion in Utah, at least among many of my friends.

I don't know what the reason is. I hate the separation that it creates between me and my old friends. It's like we're doing this little dance to figure out how to treat each other now. Another aspect of this is that I take my education to be a gift that I want to share, but that proves so difficult when people have this distrust of me beause I went to school. I do think I contributed to this with my zealous/overeager desire to share what I learned when I came back. I've definitely had to learn how to tame my speech down and gently share when the setting is conducive. But I wonder what else is at play here. Why is there such animosity toward trained/highly educated clergy? Why do folks think that their ministry is somehow less when they're not ordained, or maybe more accurately why do they think that I would look down on them.

My answer to my old youth pastor was 'God works through the unordained much more commonly than the ordained, i'm just grateful He works through ordained people as well.' He liked that answer and the conversation continued. But I'm sad that his understanding of his own ministry would be threatened by my presence. Am I reading too much into this? I don't think so.

3 Comments:

Blogger GeekChurch said...

Dagesh,

I have to say that I experienced something similar, but from within my own family. I find that I receive fewer invitations (none actually) to family poker nights and similar events than I used to. There are lots of other little things as well where I am treated differently than what I was before I was ordained.

However, I also find that ocassionally I am placed in a position where I can have serious heart to hearts with family that are really cool.

But usually the other times overshadow those great times.

Peace,
Brian

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, the more brazen side of me would want to challenge them by asking them what it is that is particularly Christian about the way they're treating you. It's different when that kind of reaction comes from people who aren't that familiar with the church, because I get it on the street and from acquaintances who aren't that firm in their faith. But from people at your home church that you grew up with? I know they've got hang-ups, but to treat a brother like that? Come ON.

But, something tells me that you're dealing with it in the most proper way. The more you can humble yourself before them, the better off you (and they) will be.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Passion can make people uneasy as much as it can inspire.

Eventually they will see that they have no reason to be insecure and that you are still their friend within a somewhat newly acquired title.

WIth faith and time anything is possible.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home